Busting myths about careers in design

Create A Website for $1.99/Month

You may have heard someone say that design is a “soft” career—softer than software, marketing, or engineering. But if you think it is easy to become a designer, you are wrong. Here is the truth about what being a designer takes—including skills that are essential for any young person who wants to go into design: project management, communication, collaboration, organizational skills, visual thinking, and creativity. There are many myths and misconceptions about careers in design. Here are a few common ones and the truth behind them:

Myth 1: Design is just about aesthetics.

Fact: While the design does involve aesthetics, it is so much more than just making things look pretty. Designers are problem-solvers who use their creative skills to solve complex issues and improve the functionality of products, systems, and environments. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, the median annual wage for industrial designers (who design products) was $71,600 in 2019, while the median annual wage for graphic designers was $52,110. These numbers show that designers are well-paid professionals who are valued for their expertise in problem-solving and innovation.

Myth 2: Design is only for artists.

Fact: While artistic talent is certainly an asset in design, it is not the only requirement. Designers need to be able to communicate effectively, collaborate with teams, and think critically. According to the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, only 28% of design students major in fine arts. The remaining 72% come from a variety of other majors, including business, engineering, and computer science. This shows that design is a field that is open to people with a wide range of skills and interests.

Myth 3: There are limited career opportunities in design.

Fact: Design is a field with a wide range of career opportunities. According to the Bureau of…

..

Read More

You May Also Like

About the Author: V. Moss